Friday, February 27, 2015

An Iraqi Mother’s Novel

Through www.kickstarter.com you can help Nisreen Abu Klam translate her novel about her suffering under Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda, and the kidnapping of her son. Click on the hyperlink below after reading to Participate.
My name is Nisreen Abu Klam, born in Baghdad to a well-known middle-class family. My parents both enjoyed books and reading. I graduated from a civil engineering department and worked compulsory by what was known in Iraq as the Central Appointment Law for a few years in my profession. I have made many prior attempts to write novels and articles, but the unstable way of life in Iraq, the lack of the services, and the general unavailability of domestic items most of the time impose additional loads on Iraqi women. I had to leave Iraq to follow my husband who was teaching at various universities in the Middle East. Such travels gave me the opportunity to see more places and elevate my writings.
I was inspired to write this book because of the state of grief and oppression that possessed me since the day my beloved son was kidnapped. To this present day he has never come back to me. 
This book covers the time period of 1980-2010. It begins after the year 2003, when the American Army came to liberate Iraq from Saddam Hussein. Al-Qaeda men from Iraq and abroad, entered Iraq through the borders of neighboring countries and they started kidnapping all the people who participated with the Americans to redevelop Iraq. I am one of the people who was targeted by Al-Qaeda. They kidnapped my boy because they did not believe in redevelopment and thus did not want us to take part in this process. They killed him. After asking me for ransom money, our whole immediate family was threatened so we had to flee the country. We applied through the United Nations to find somewhere we could find safety and refuge. We came to the U.S.A. and settled in San Diego.
After many years of the healing process, I decided to write my story and put all these experiences into a book so that the American people will be able to understand the suffering of Iraqi women during the wars that Saddam Hussein created. I began writing this book in 2009 having been inspired through attending a writing group. I heard many stories from other women from all over the world in this group and the injustices they had experienced. I kept hearing stories from other women in the Iraqi community who had similar stories to myself. I felt I was finally in a safe space where I could dedicate myself to writing this book and to tell the stories of those who could not write for themselves. 
This books is about how the men of Al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein worked to destroy the social pattern of society. This book details the injustice all Iraqis had to endure as an inevitable result of the control of the dictatorship on the capabilities of the Iraqi people. I wanted my personal story to be shared and to allow the world to know of the pain and suffering the Iraqi people experienced as a result of 35 years of dictatorship.
My primary goals for this book is for it to be easily accessible to a large number of readers. In particular, this book was written for Americans, without whom our dictator would still be in power. This book was written in America after running away from Iraq. For this reason, I wanted this book to be translated to English so I can receive feedback from American readers having provided them with well-documented knowledge and experiences.

Risks and challenges
The challenges with this project lie within translation itself. The challenge of translation is two-fold. First, it is clearly essential that the translator needs to be proficient in both English and Arabic as a very basic ingredient for translating the written word. Secondly, the translator must be able to stylistically translate the sentiment and feelings of the original text and be able to emote the same kind of feelings for the reader.
I am currently working with a published author and friend who is helping me in the translation process to ensure that how the book is written in Arabic translates emotionally in English.
If you would like to help with this project, Click HERE.

Find ArtsNFashion on FB and Twitter:

  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms